Got Holiday Heartburn?
Heartburn is very common and very unpleasant. It's triggered when stomach acid backs up into the esophagus.
It can make you feel as though someone has lit a small bonfire in your chest, and it's burning its way up to your neck.
If you experience heartburn, you know the feeling well: a slight hiccup, followed by a burning sensation in your chest and throat.
It may be triggered by the foods you eat, particularly spicy, fatty, or acidic foods like during the holidays when you know your overeating.
When heartburn hits, many over-the-counter treatments, home remedies, and lifestyle adjustments may provide relief.
Next time you get that burning feel,
Take the Baking Soda Test!
- Mix ¼ tsp baking soda in 6 oz cold water,
- first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything
- Drink the baking soda solution
- Time how long it takes for a burp or belch to come out.
- If you haven’t burped or belched within 5 mins indicates you have insufficient stomach acid.
- I am especially fond of trying 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in 2-4 oz of water about 15 mins before your next meal.
Enjoy the Holidays!