Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
This creamy low-fat soup gets its creamy texture from pureed sweet potatoes and goes perfectly paired with a light sandwich or salad. Since Creamy Sweet Potato Soup can be prepared quickly, in just under 15 minutes, it’s perfect to make in the morning to take to work.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes halved lengthwise (about 2 large)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock such as Swanson
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 bacon slices cooked and crumbled
- 1 ounce fresh Parmesan cheese shaved (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves optional
- Place potatoes, cut sides down, in an 11 x 7-inch microwave-safe baking dish. Add 1/4 cup water; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool slightly; discard potato skins.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 1 minute or until translucent. Stir in cumin and red pepper. Add stock to pan; bring to a boil. Place half of sweet potato and half of stock mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters); blend until smooth. Pour pureed soup into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining sweet potato and stock mixture. Stir in salt. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; sprinkle cooked bacon and Parmesan cheese evenly over top. Garnish with parsley, if desired.